Sorry for the clickbaity title.
But this is a summary of a lesson we had in the writing course. More importantly, this statement is a rallying call for us to establish an online home for our writing. More precisely to have a website in Wordpress or Squarespace to host your writing. The website is your visiting card for our future and unexplored opportunities.
- Medium might have started with the mission of democratising good quality writing. But Medium now is a platform with intentions beyond that, or their vision/stakeholders demand more. Their business model cages up the content and incentivises people in an opaque manner.
- If you have great and meticulously done work, it’s possible that only people with Medium premium can read it. (I know it is not accurate, but more or less I get the point. We are at the mercy of Medium’s curators or algorithm. The classic platform problem)
- David Perell made a joke saying that his tombstone wants to read: Here lives a guy who made people write online but not in Medium.
- Medium is terrible at SEO. (Technically I have no idea to corroborate this)
- Medium can mask and gentrify your brand. Your website is your home. It needs to reflect your personality in design, layout, fonts and images. Not a cookie-cutter solution for everyone.