It's almost exactly two months since I've quit my job and started freelancing full-time. It took me nearly a year of deliberation before I finally made the decision. Time for some reflection. I want to share the good and the bad I noticed so far about working for myself.
What's awesome about being a freelancer:
- I can work from anywhere in the world. I just need my laptop and a stable (!!!) internet connection.
- The "omg it's only Tuesday, I can't wait for the weekend to start" is completely gone. I enjoy the weekdays as much as the weekend.
- I can work at my own pace. Middle-of-the-day grocery shopping (empty shops yay) and walks in the park are amazing!
What's scary about being a freelancer:
- No automatic monthly paycheck is coming in. I start to value each dollar earned way more and consider more carefully how I spend it.
- No one is going to save me when I get in trouble. There is no manager I can run to for help and advice. I'm on my own.
So far, the benefits still outweigh the scary stuff. I'll look at this list again after another two months to see what changed. Any other freelancers out there? What's your experience?