I'm taking a little creative liberty with the Topic of the Week: moving. The company I work for (Zapier) is running a step challenge for the month of January. As a 100% remote company, it's important to encourage our team to be active, as it's super easy to be INactive when you work from home. Prior to this challenge, I was admittedly not moving enough.
As Newton's first law of motion says:
An object at rest stays at rest...
Thus far, I've managed to log over 100,000 steps (103,695 as of writing this). And that puts me in TWELFTH place. As soon as I'm done writing this I'm going to take a walk so I can crack the top ten again :)
Some things I've found helpful, to encourage me to take those steps:
- Apple Watch: Seeing those rings full out is pretty gratifying. I don't have a SUPER lofty goal on my Watch. 400 calories and 30 minutes of exercise. Then, there's getting up for 12 hours of my day.
- Want to Watch? Walk! I discovered a show that I enjoy (Counterpart on STARZ), and in order to watch it I've decided that I have to do it as I walk. I've done this outdoors (during the day and night) and also in the gym.
- Competition: The challenge itself has really encouraged me to log those steps. I won't be the winner (that person has almost 160,000 steps) but competing against those who hover around my level makes it a little more fun to walk. That, and I'd love to stay in that top 10.
- Newton's Law: ...and an object in motion stays in motion. Exercise really does beget exercise. Once you start to get into that routine, it becomes easier to do it daily. Much like 200 Words a Day's streak keeps me in check.
- Mexican Vacation: At the end of the month, my wife and I will be heading to Tulum, Mexico for a 5-night vacation. Walking at least helps a LITTLE in making my body more beach-ready.
Alright, time to go for a walk and see what Howard Silk is up to on Counterpart.