This post is about Beethoven as the 2nd post about outstanding composers. (1st post: Frederic Chopin) By writing a summary of their life and findings intersection in their lives, I would like to weave my relation map among composers.
Through playing his scores and his frown face in his portrait, I had the impression that he has strong character, and some difficulties in his life.
Beethoven vs Chopin
Beethoven was born in 1770 in Germany, which is about 250 years ago and 40 years before Chopin was born. Bethoven was died in 1827 so there is 17 years overlap between Chopin and Beethoven. Like Chopin's family, Beethoven's family is also music family—his father was tenor singer at the loyal palace.
In contrast, he did not have great family environment. Beethoven's father is addictive to alcohol and tends to lakc of mony. almost abused him by giving harsh music education when he was 4 years old. He was getting a feeling of disgust about music. When he was 20 years old, he was getting deaf and amost thought of suiside at his 32.
- Moonlight Sonata (Piano Sonata No. 14): this was completed in 1801 when he was 31 years old before he started to lose his listening capability.
- For Elise: this is one of the most popular classic score for beginners. This was composed in 1810 as the same time for Moonlinght Sonata. This score was not published 40 years after his death. It is one of his mysteries who is "Elise." One of the hypothesis said Elise was misspelled for Therese, who Beethoven was supposed to propose to.
- A Therese (Piano Sonata No.24 in F#, Op.78): there is another score which has nickname "Therese."
- Op.: "Opus" is the numbering assigned to music works. Beethoven wrote a lot of "Piano Sonata". To distinguish them, composers assigned the number to the scores.
- Sonata: we might hear a lot "sonata" but I was not clear what exactly means. The definition of sonata is just a pieace of classical music that consists of several parts. The origin of "Sonata" is Italy, and it means "Played" or "Sounded" by some instruments in Italy while "Cantata" means "Sung scores."
Beethoven seems to be influenced by Mozart when he was a little. So I will move on Mozart on the next post.
Word of the day: disavow -> no use