I only have time for a quick entry today so I thought i'd use it to talk briefly about the Goodreads app, why I find it so useful and why I recommend it to anyone who enjoys reading.
I am an avid reader and for the last few years I have been making a list of all the books I have read each year in the back of notepads. I now use the Goodreads app for this purpose, but the app is capable of so much more than simply recording your reading history.
Here are a list of my favourite features:
1. You can use your phone camera to scan the ISBN number which brings up the book, you can then 'assign' it to any category or 'bookshelf' you create.
2. There are inbuilt bookshelves for "Read, Currently Reading, Want to Read" but you can add additional shelves e.g Reviewed, Recommendations, Booker Prize Winners
3. You can set yourself a reading challenge of how many books you want to read that year. I have set a challenge of 75 books for this year and so far I am on target.
4. You can submit your own book reviews and read the reviews of hundreds of other goodreaders.
5. You can link it to your facebook account and add friends, this allows you to see what they are reading, view their reading challenge and you can comment on each others reading activity.
6. You can join a book club or even start your own.
7. There is a new quote about reading everytime you open the app and some of them are wonderful
I have discovered new books through using the app and I have been encouraged to set more ambitious reading goals and achieve them. If you enjoy reading then I think you would like the goodreads app and I would encourage you to give it a try if you havn't already.