I have build up quite a lot of plugins for internal use; this is the first time I am working on a WordPress plugin that is going to release to the public. It's called Custom Form Action for Elementor. Elementor is one of the famous site builders in the WordPress ecosystem.
The Elementor core released as a free plugin and you can purchase the pro version which is addon plugin of the free version with some of the additional features. One of the functionality that the pro version has is allowed to create form and user can assign different after 'submit action' after the submission of the form. For example, after submitting the form, you might want to send a webhook, or you can send the form directly to slack.
The Custom Form Action for Elementor that I build is to bring more options to this particular form actions. Currently, the first option that I have done is allow form submit to pipe over Google Sheet. I m planning to release this first and slowly add other actions.
Now I struggle on shall I release it as a free version to acquired more user and release the pro version later or release the paid version.
Why I think I should release as free version first.
- I m still nobody in the WordPress ecosystem; I need to acquire users first.
- It's one good way to marketing, and it might help my IntegrateWP brand on WordPress plugin development.
- Everyone loves free things; the pro version can bring in more options on the free version.
Why I think I should release as paid version first.
- Less effort one code base
- Target audience is those who paid Elementor Pro; their wallet should be more comfortable to open.
- Freemium always flood with lots of support issue.
- Bring in revenue.
It's tempted to release paid version first, but I understand you need some freemium to succeed in the WordPress ecosystem. You need both paid and free version; it's just that which one comes first.