(This is my rough notes on module #2 of the WoP course. The module gives us the core principles of content creation.)
The goal of the course is to publish quality content, distribute effectively online and increase serendipity by publishing online.
- The goal is to publish a body of work. Not just one hit wonder article. But a bunch of articles following some themes.
- The viewership will not increase overnight. The power of compounding really works in this area. Write good articles consistently, put in your work in shipping things and work actively in increasing your distribution.
- You can be a generalist in the initial days to find out your voice. But it is better to own a niche or a narrow topic on the Internet. There is an audience for super-niche topics.
- Treat blogging and interacting with people as an opportunity to develop an intuition on your topic of interest.
- Discover communities of interests and practice and be active in it. (200WaD is definitely a community of practice for writing consistently)
- Have a worldview shift in considering your followers on Twitter and other distribution networks as peers and collaborators. You are not performing for them, you are exploring the rabbit hole of interests in common.
- Anything that is learning or worth pondering about is a blog post. This is a bit contradicting to #3, but writing is thinking and you learn better by writing. So no inhibitions in writing about a topic and see if there is an audience or not.