The first month of 2019 is already finishing today. Do you hear yourself saying things like "Time really flies by, hu." or "Wish I could slow down time."?
Why do we always feel like time is rushing by? We wish we could hold on tight and don't let it slip away so easily through our fingers. Apparently, we feel that way because our brains go on autopilot mode as often as possible. That's useful because it prevents us from being overloaded and overstimulated by every decisions, moment and experience we have on a daily basis. This also means that our daily routines tend to blend together and suddenly another week has gone by.
The solution? Try new things ... consciously and constantly. This will give your brain a lift and mark the day as something special to be remembered. As a result, it will feel like time is actually slowing down.
Here are some ideas for you:
- Take a different route to work
- Shop at a different grocery store and/or buy different stuff than you normally would
- Strike up a conversation with a stranger
- Try a new hobby
- Explore a new part of your city
- Start a side business
- Book a weekend getaway to a place you've never been before
- Switch up your evening routine (no TV or social media allowed)
- Change jobs, either within your company or outside
- Move to a different place