Yesterday, I shared my favorite recipe for pizza dough. Now, it's time to add the sauce.
The sauce is super important. It provides a base of flavor and ties everything together.
This amount of sauce should be enough for 2 medium pizzas.
1 small onion
2 garlic cloves
1 tbsp sugar
1 can tomatoes
Chili flakes or powder
1. Finely dice the onion and garlic
2. Heat a bit of olive oil in a small saucepan and add the onion and garlic.
3. When they are slightly brown and fragrant, add the sugar and let it caramelize.
4. Add the can of tomatoes. Add a bit of water into the empty can, swirl it around and add it to the saucepan.
5. Add some pinches of oregano, basil, chili flakes (if you like), salt and pepper.
6. Stir well and let it simmer for about 10 min until it gets nice and thick.
7. Try and adjust the seasoning. Now the sauce is ready to go onto the pizza. You can also make it ahead of time and keep it in the fridge.
I like a good amount of sauce on my pizza, but it shouldn't be too much either as the pizza can become soggy.
This concludes my posts about pizza. It has been a fun week writing about this topic!