We get bombarded with information on a daily basis and have become ninjas in drowning out everything that feels too familiar, that we already know, that's not new, that's boring.
Then what gets our attention? New, shiny things that are different, that surprise us, that take something familiar and flip it around. And, everything that solves our problems (whatever those might be).
If you want to stand out as a business, as a freelancer, that's the way to go.
Talk about something nobody else is talking about. Maybe because it's too controversial, too risky, or too vulnerable.
Here are a few ideas:
- Take a familiar, popular topic and go into more depth than anybody else.
- Share something that has failed and what you've learned from it.
- Cover an overlooked aspect of a popular topic.
- Write about unspoken truth or invisible rules of your industry and market.
- Talk about what's not working.
This might seem scary and mean going against popular opinions sometimes. That's ok. It will separate the people that are really a fit for your offer from the masses. It will help you to connect with the right people who share your worldview. You don't even have to care about everybody else.