Everybody wants to buy, but nobody wants to be sold to.
That's the new reality.
Long gone are the days when sellers had all the power (because they had all the information). People chose the product with the best sales pitch and the flashiest ad. They didn't know any better.
Now, we can read reviews! We can find out everything about a company and its products. We are repelled by anything too salesy and smell marketing tricks from a mile away. At some point, we've probably all fallen for one.
Selling is out! It's a desperate way of trying to get attention by repeating over and over again how great the product is and how many features it has. (EVERY company has great products with amazing features!) We've heard all this before.
When selling is out ... what is in?
It's building a connection!
To be successful in marketing a product or service today, you have to focus on
- Getting to know your audience really well.
- Addressing their pain points, challenges, desires, and beliefs.
- Providing them with value - upfront.
- Behaving like a human being (not a company) talking to another human being.
- Earning your audience's trust.
- Becoming their advisor and helper.
- Being generous.
- Building a real connection.