When you decide to get behind the wheel of an automobile, your one job is to pilot said vehicle in a safe manner until your destination. Your one job is to focus on driving. That's it. If you were applying for this job, here is a list of qualifications that would NOT be part of the job description:
- Talking on the phone without hands-free capability
- Reading a magazine/newspaper
- Being intoxicated or otherwise in an altered state due to any type of drug
- Applying make-up
- Turning around and looking in the backseat to attend to misbehaving children
- Reaching down to grab something from the floor of the vehicle
- Blaring music so loudly that it drowns out any other sounds including horns and sirens
- Making out with the passenger
- Having a quick temper that results in rage mentality easily
I am shocked by the number of people of all ages out driving on the road who are doing one or more of the above. It's no wonder that the third leading cause of death in the US is accidents, many of which occur with motor vehicles.
Each and every time you are driving an automobile, just do your job.