As part of the Knowledge Business Blueprint course that I'm taking, there is bonus content that can be unlocked by completing modules in the course. I unlocked one bonus from Tony Robbins called a "Power Talk." In this Power Talk, Tony interviewed the legendary Napoleon Hill, author of the international bestseller Think and Grow Rich. If you have never heard of Napoleon Hill or this book, it's time to get acquainted. I could not find this interview on Youtube or anywhere else or I would share the link here. Instead, I will provide my notes after listening to this interview multiple times.
The starting point of all achievement is definiteness of purpose.
Benefits of having definiteness of purpose
1. Automatically develops self-reliance, personal initiative, imagination, enthusiasm, self-discipline, and concentration of effort
2. Induces one to budget one's time
3. Makes one more alert to opportunities
4. Inspires confidence in one's integrity
The man who knows where he is going and is determined to get there will always find willing helpers to cooperate with.
5. Opens the way for the full exercise of state of mind known as faith
6. Makes one's success conscious--prevents failure consciousness
Applied faith - faith has to be directed and active.
There is nothing in this world that I can't do something about if it's nothing more than adjust myself to an unpleasant situation so it does not destroy my spirit.
Whatever the mind of man can conceive and believe he can achieve.
One of the major causes of failure is a lack of ability to get along with other people harmoniously.
One of the keys to getting along with people is to have a pleasing personality.
Elements of a pleasing personality
1. Positive mental attitude focusing on the seven most important positive emotions: faith, hope, love, enthusiasm, sex, loyalty, and cheerfulness. Avoiding thoughts around the seven negative of emotions based on fear: fear of poverty, fear of ill health, fear of criticism, fear of loss of love of someone, fear of loss of liberty, fear of old age, fear of death.
3. Pleasing tone of voice
4. Frankness of manner in speech
5. Keen sense of justice toward all people
6. Sincerity of purpose in all relationships
7. Tactfulness - not all thoughts should be expressed
8. Promptness of decision when not all facts to make the decision are known
9. Faith in infinite intelligence
10. Controlled enthusiasm
11. Common courtesy
12. Habit of going the extra mile
Benefits of going the extra mile
1. Law of increasing returns
2. Brings one to the attention of those who can and do provide opportunities for self profession
3. Permits one to become indispensable and command more compensation
4. Leads to mental growth and physical expertise
5. Protects from loss of employment
6. Law of contrast
7. Development of a positive and pleasing attitude
8. Active imagination
9. Self-reliance and integrity
10. Only reason to justify a raise
I have to succeed because if I keep going I will eventually run out of the things that won't work.
The habit of personal initiative must begin by its application in the small and unimportant circumstances of one's daily life. It is the antidote for procrastination. It is the beginning of all great achievement.
The power of thought is the only thing you have complete unchallenged and unchallengeable control over by power of will.
The majority of people go through life with most of their mind power fixed upon their fears and discouragements and things they don't want.
You will have acquired sufficent self-discipline to enable you to find health, wealth, and happiness when you can close the door of your mind to things you do not want. Then and only then will the door to all the things you do want open to you.
Every adversity carries with it the seed of an equivalent or greater benefit.
Every circumstance affecting your life can be turned to a benefit by your mental attitude toward it.
Most people accept defeat as a permanent failure. Defeat is never failure. No circumstance is ever failure until it is accepted by the individual as failure.
Nothing constructive and worthy of man's efforts ever has been or ever will be achieved except that which comes through a positive mental attitude based upon a definite purpose and activated by a burning desire and intensified until a burning desire is elevated to the plane of applied faith.
12 things which constitute true richness
1. Positive mental attitude - note it is listed first
2. Sound physical health
3. Harmony in human relations
4. Freedom from fear
5. Hope of future achievement
6. The capacity for applied faith
7. Willingness to share one's blessings with others
8. To be engaged in a labor of love
9. An open mind toward all subjects and all people
10. Complete self-discipline
11. Wisdom with which to understand people
12. Financial security - note it is listed last
It is a well-established fact that the power of one's thoughts enters into and becomes a vital part of the energy that is carried into the body through food. That worry, fear, and all negative thoughts poison the food. Therefore, controlled thought habits during mealtime is of the utmost importance in the maintenance of health.
This last concept is new to me and makes me VERY interested in learning more as there are potentially major implications for Project Food as Fuel. Stay tuned for more from me on this one.