We are organizing our first community event, it's a healthy competition where the members have to write the best short post.
- Why: to improve our writing skills together!
- When: November 15th
- Where: right here on 200 Words a Day
- Who: you can register if either your day streak or your number of posts is greater than 10
- What: the topic of the competition is "Ice breaker - Describe yourself to someone new for the first time"
- How: 1) register, 2) write a post between 200 and 250 words and 3) submit it for judging before November 16 23:59, Zurich time
- Prize: the winning post and writer will be featured on the front page of 200 words until the next competition starts. You will also get a nice badge displayed on your profile page
Two types of selection:
- Popular Choice: the members of the community will vote for their favorite posts
- Judge's Choice: 3 judges will review your work
The following components will be used to evaluate the winner:
1) Creativity - 40%
- Does the writing display originality?
- Does the writing address the topic in a way that makes the reader think?
- Does the writing depict good story telling techniques?
- Does the writing have a good opening and conclusion?
- Does the writing depict a compelling and memorable story?
- Does the writing establish effective relationships between and among ideas, causes, and/or statements appropriate to the topic?
2) Descriptive language - 20%
- Does this writing use vivid details to create clear imagery of what the author is describing? (Leaves the reader with a mental picture)
- Does this piece effectively deploy literary devices – metaphor, imagery, figurative language?
3) “Wow!” factor - 20%
- Does this piece “wow” the reader for any reason?
- Does the writing grab the reader’s attention and keep them engaged?
- Is the piece thought-provoking or emotionally inspiring?
- Does the writing delight and informs with impact?
4) Spelling/Grammar/Structure - 10%
- Does the language used in the content reflect correct grammar, punctuation, vocabulary, and spelling?
- Does the piece include precise, purposeful and accurate word choices and well crafted sentences?
- Does the writing presented in a way that is logical and aesthetically pleasing?
5) Clarity of Expression - 5%
- Is the language used easy to understand?
- Does everything makes sense and readers don't get lost or have to reread passages to figure out what's going on?
- Does the piece maintain a consistent point of view?
6) Adherence to Topic - 5%
- Does the content match and address the topic?